Everything is constantly evolving. It's that evolution that wee need to pay attention to. What started out as simple slowly becomes a beast of complexities if we let it. Small organizations become big rigid boxes where people wait for weekends and retirements and we become automated robots that simply run a script until our death.
It takes a deliberate combination of action and vision to prevent the negative evolution that can lead to an untimely demise.
How to evolve deliberately
- Keep it simple. Be careful what you take on. If it's not a "hell yeah!" Then it should probably be a hard "no."
- Make a top 3 list or "now" page. Get 4 sticky notes. Label them "relationships" "personal growth" "life experiences" and "work." Write your top 3 for each category. If the things you're doing do not fit into one of these lists then you should probably weed it out. The other option is to create a "now" page for your website. If you don't know what that is then go here.
- Practice vision. The classic "write down where you want to be in 10 years" doesn't cut it. It becomes a laundry list of toys and a number with a dollar sign. Instead, ask the following questions: What's important to me? What kind of person do I want to be? What kind of life do I want to live? These questions force us to look at the values that we hold close...
- Have values (and act on them). This may be the most important point. The values that you choose are up to you, although some value frameworks from past cultures translate very well across time and cultures. My personal favorite is the bushido code, but we'll get into that later.
- Learn from the past. Take a look at who you were a year ago an more. Do you like what you see? How can you measure your progress?
- Look to the future. Don't just plan, actively become who you want to be. Do it now. Because time is a funny thing.
What do you think? I'd like to discuss with you in the comments.